Local heritage book of Baltimore, Maryland, USA
The present data is based on the church records of
Further data comes from daily newspapers in Baltimore and the surrounding area
Further data from:
Thanks to this addition from a wide variety of sources, many citizens with other religions have now also been added. A small selection:
The recording of the church book entries was done by a team of the Niedersächsischen Landesvereins für Familienkunde e.V. (NLF). For this purpose, the church register mapping of the program GEN_DO! was used, which is designed for teamwork. After completion of the complete mapping, the merging of the persons and families followed, which had often been named in several church book entries.
In the meantime, a start was made to include entries from German church books, which are referred to by the entries of the Zion Church in Baltimore. Additions may be supplied. Please provide detailed source information according to the procedure implemented in this OFB!
The NLF team hereby presents its results. We hope to make a good contribution to the research of emigrations from Germany and welcome corrections and additions.
The project management
from Wikipedia (excerpts):
The Zion Church of the City of Baltimore (German: Zionskirche der Stadt Baltimore; also Zion Lutheran Church) is an Evangelical Lutheran church and congregation in Baltimore.
It is the oldest congregation to hold services in German at the same location in the United States without interruption since 1755, even before the Declaration of Independence. It belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, a partner church of the Evangelical Church in Germany.
German immigrants settled in Baltimore immediately after the city was founded. They initially held their services in the city's only church at the time, the Anglican St. Paul's Church. In 1755, under the leadership of physician Charles Frederick Wiesenthal, they founded the "Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Baltimore Town"; Johann Bager became the first pastor in the same year.
The congregation built its first church in 1762 on Fish Street, later renamed Saratoga, on the north side of the block of the present church. In 1785, an addition was added to it; this was also the year it was first called Zion Church in the records of the Pennsylvania Department. In 1795, the church received an organ by David Tannenberg. By 1804, the time of its fourth pastor, Johann Daniel Kurtz (1763-1856), the congregation had 318 members; the simple house of worship had become too small.
Church book "First German United Evangelical Church - First-German-United-Evangelical-Church" in Baltimore.
According to the 65th anniversary book, the church was founded in 1849. The decision to incorporate was made by some German men and the church was founded on Dec. 1, 1849, in Eastern Hall at the corner of Broadway and Eastern Ave. On September 1, 1850, it was incorporated by the state legislature.
In January 1850, it was also voted to purchase a cemetery. The first two acres were purchased in October 1850 by a man named "Money" for $240. In 1877, another six acres were purchased. It was located on Philadelphia Road on the southeast side of Canton Lane.
However, the first pastor was Rev. J.F. Feisel. Rev. Feisel served the congregation for less than a year. Rev. Schwartz was pastor of the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church at that time. He resigned from that church and accepted a call to First German United. He also took 36 families from the Broadway Methodist Church.
The urge to build a new church grew and on December 3, 1850, Pastor Schwartz submitted plans for a church building. The plans were drawn up by a carpenter named Robinson, who offered to build the church for $6,000. The cornerstone was laid shortly thereafter (the actual date is not known). In 1852, Rev. A. Schwartz erected a new Lutheran church on Eastern Avenue, between Register and Bank Streets. The church building is a two-story brick building and the congregation also had a schoolhouse. This church included 300 families, and membership at times exceeded 800. Sunday school attendance was also very large. (Source: History of Baltimore 1729-1898, Elliott)
The church is listed in Wood's Directory of 1860 at 234-236 Eastern Avenue (now 1725 Eastern Avenue). Rev. Andrew (Andrew) Schwartz was pastor at this time.
The growth of the area now known as Highlandtown enabled the church to purchase additional land for the cemetery (an additional six acres was purchased from the Kimberly estate for $3,000). The cemetery is located at 6115 O'Donnell Street.
Trinity German Lutheran Church, Baltimore City, 1853-1877
|Dieses Werk ist lizenziert unter einer Creative Commons - Namensnennung 4.0 International Lizenz